Monday, November 28, 2005

Lost Footing

After a week off, I was walking rather slowly to work this morning. As I crossed Bradley Avenue towards Swords Hall, I found myself face down on the pavement. My right knee absorbed most of the shock from my fall, and I felt blood dripping down my leg. My grocery sack of coffee, tea, and granola bars was strewn out in front of me. I picked myself up and looked around to see if anyone had seen me wipe out. I was running a little late, so the sidewalks were clear. I found the culprit - a little round nut from a nearby tree. I hobbled into the building and to the bathroom to clean up the blood. My body felt jarred from the fall and my mind had a hard time readjusting to the workday. By midmorning I got into a groove and got some things done. In the afternoon, Paula and I walked across campus to check out some shelving that another office on campus had discarded. We were hoping we could use it to store over 100 years' worth of Bradley yearbooks that are currently in boxes. As we walked, I realized that my body was starting to feel stiff and sore all over.

Over Thanksgiving, my brother-in-law, Doug, came up from Kentucky with all sorts of tree climbing and trimming equipment. He had a purpose - to clear the dead and dying limbs from my mother's sycamore trees. He was doing great, despite all of our protests that we should hire a professional to do this. He was almost finished and was pulling on a rope tied to a limb. I'm not sure what happened, but the rope broke and the log slammed down on his ankle, breaking the small leg bone.

Nothing like time away from work to make you lose your footing and your focus.

No comments: