Sunday, April 15, 2012

crispy chips with no oil

I often buy those large packages of corn tortilla circles with no oil. I heat up the oven to 400–450 and put in my baking stone. You could also use a cookie sheet I believe or put them right on the racks. If using a baking stone (your best bet) make sure it gets really hot—leave at the high temp for 10 minutes.

I rinse the tortillas under water, sprinkle with salt, and slice into fourths. I put the slices on the stone and bake until crisp. Watch that they don't burn, cause they'll taste nasty.

Nicely toasted, they are yummy to eat with chili or dip in salsa.

I also use a similar method to make potato chips/crisps.

I slice Russet potatoes thin in my Cuisinart or by hand with a long sharp knife. Put them in a bowl and slather in sea salt and maybe some Mrs. Dash or garlic pepper.

Place them on the baking stone (thoroughly heated to 400–450) in a single layer and cook until they are crispy with a few brown spots. With potatoes, heating the stone is especially important, because otherwise they will stick like glue. I have never tried these on a baking sheet and don't know that they'd do well.

They are a delicious accompaniment to a tempeh sloppy joe or bean burger.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello,

I hope this email finds you well. I'm writing to you from ABC News in New York, where we are preparing for our election night coverage next Tuesday, November 6. I am part of the digital unit, where we are trying a new feature for our digital livestreaming coverage on ABCNews.com. We are interviewing one voter per state as a fun take on the election - it will be a light-hearted segment, no hard-hitting politics questions. I was wondering if you might be interested in appearing as the Illinois interviewee?

Please do not hesitate to contact me at: susan.s.shin@abc.com

Thank you for your time, and I look forward to hearing from you!

Best,

Susan Shin